Redcar Racecourse

Set in 72 acres just off the high street in Redcar, North Yorkshire, Redcar Racecourse was established in its current location in 1872. The racecourse fell into disrepair during the war years, but began a period of rapid improvement in 1946 under the auspices of new Clerk of the Course, Major Leslie Petch. A new grandstand was completed in 1964 and, today, the course hosts 18 Flat meetings throughout the season.

 

 

Course Characteristics

The round course at Redcar is a left-handed, flat, galloping oval, approximately a mile and three quarters around, with a five furlong home straight. The bends are sharp but, overall, Redcar provides a fair test for all types of horses. Races up to a mile start on chute that joins the round course between the six and five furlong markers. Over five furlongs, there appears to be an appreciable bias towards low drawn runners although, mystifyingly, the bias is reversed over six furlongs.

 

Track Facts

Redcar was the first racecourse in the country to install furlong markers.

In 1984, Provideo, trained by Bill O’Gorman, set the modern day record of 16 wins in a juvenile season at Redcar.

Anne, the Princess Royal rode her first winner, Gulfland, at Redcar in 1986.

The Zetland Gold Cup, run over 1 mile 2 furlongs in June, is named after the Zetland family, who have supported Redcar from the beginning. The 1st Marquis of Zetland became chairman in 1884 and, today, the 4th Marquis carries out the same role.

Lord Zetland was responsible for introducing the most prestigious race run at Redcar, the Two-Year-Old Trophy, in 1989.

You may also like

Leave a Reply