Musselburgh Racecourse

Musselburgh Racecourse is situated on the Firth of Forth, just over six miles east of Edinburgh in East Lothian, Scotland and, until the 1990s, was known as Edinburgh racecourse. Rescued from closure by East Lothian Council in 1991, the racecourse and its facilities underwent a multi-million pound refurbishment and, today, Musselburgh hosts 26 Flat and National Hunt fixtures throughout the year.

 

 

Course Characteristics

 

The round course at Musselburgh is a right-handed, sharp oval, approximately a mile and a quarter around. The course is relatively flat, but the tight bends favour agile, nimble types. On the straight five-furlong course, which starts on a chute at the top of the home straight, horses drawn low have a slight advantage on good or faster going. The National Hunt course is similar in characteristics to the round course on the Flat, with eight, stiff fences, or six flights of hurdles, per circuit.

 

Track Facts

The Edinburgh Cup, run over 1 mile 4 miles 100 yards at Musselburgh in June, is Scotland’s second richest flat race.

The first recorded meeting at Musselburgh racecourse, in its current location, took place in 1816.

The first National Hunt meeting at Musselburgh took place on January 5, 1967.

Ladies’ Day at Musselburgh in 2007 was the first horseracing event in Scotland ever to sell out in advance.

 

You may also like

Leave a Reply