Market Rasen Racecourse

Market Rasen Racecourse was built in its current location, just outside Market Rasen, Lincolnshire, by a group of local entrepreneurs in 1923. The first official National Hunt fixture was staged in 1924 and, except for World War II, when the course and its buildings were used by the Yorkshire Hussars, the course has continued to flourish ever since. Market Rasen Racecourse now hosts 20 National Hunt fixtures throughout the year.

 

Course Characteristics

 

Market Rasen Racecourse consists of a right-handed, sharp, undulating oval, approximately a mile and a quarter around, with a run-in of just over a furlong. There are eight, easy fences, including a water jump in front of the stands, or five flights of hurdles, per circuit. On the whole, Market Rasen favours agile, nimble horses that like to lead or race close to the pace.

 

Track Facts

The Tote facility at Market Rasen operated for the first time in 1931.

A photo-finish camera was installed for the first time at Market Rasen in 1964.

Market Rasen Racecourse stages four important Listed races during the year, two on Prelude Day in September and two on Ladies’ Day in July.

You may also like

Leave a Reply